HGMC seeks an Artistic Director to lead the Chorus beginning August, 2021.
As we enter our 35th season, HGMC is seeking a seasoned and exceptional Artistic Director to lead us!
HGMC is a community chorus that comprises a diverse collection of singers from the Harrisburg / York / Lancaster areas in Pennsylvania. The chorus is committed to performance excellence and represents a significant social outlet for members to share their love of music and performing. HGMC is a community of people, of which the artistic director is a significant member.
The successful candidate will identify themes and concert programming that supports the HGMC mission and resonates with the HGMC community and its audiences. Experienced candidates with vision, a strong background in choral music, familiarity with community choruses, and proven leadership skills are encouraged to apply.
This position is a part-time, contractual position. The artistic director position is that of an independent contractor. Payment is negotiable based on experience.
The position will remain open until filled. Interested persons are encouraged to apply by July 13, 2021. For immediate consideration, please send a cover letter, CV/resume, and example of previous programming to: [email protected] Candidates should feel free to submit videos/recordings, original compositions and/or arrangements along with any other materials that they feel may support their application.
The Chorus will entertain applicants who are interested in filling the position on an interim basis as well, as we continue our search. Interested persons should send a cover letter and CV/resume to [email protected].
Description of Position Duties:
- Direct and prepare two concerts per annual season (December, May), as well as ad hoc preparation for limited additional engagements, including July Pride performance, and other performances as necessary.
- Lead the musical selection, as well as the artistic and technical development of the organization in preparation for performances.
- Conduct one weekly evening rehearsal and one day weekend workshop per season with optional additional rehearsals as needed.
- Coach and educate the choruses on vocal sound, including proper vocal technique.
- Conduct auditions for prospective members.
- Work collaboratively with board of directors and its committees, as it relates to budgeting, membership, development and community engagement.
- Attend board of directors monthly meetings and contribute a monthly board report as artistic director.
- Promote HGMC’s mission while representing the organization in public.
- Assist HGMC leadership in facilitating a welcoming, respectful and safe environment for all members and audience participants during rehearsals and performances.
- Additional duties as described in the full Job Description. (See link below.)
Description of Position Qualifications:
Ability to select programming, conduct successful rehearsals, and prepare the choruses for concerts is the prime responsibility of the artistic director.
Additionally, the successful candidate should have:
- Demonstrated choral conducting experience with bachelor’s or advanced degree in music, or formal choral conducting training. Equivalent experience may be considered in lieu of formal training.
- Experience conducting or working with a community-based chorus and with singers of various musical skills.
- Experience and willingness to work with LGBTQ+ affirming community in a safe environment for all.
- Outstanding musicianship with a broad knowledge of male choral repertoire, with an understanding of a diverse range of gender identities and voices.
- Ability to positively motivate and lead individuals and large groups.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Availability to lead Chorus rehearsal on Monday evenings 6:30-9:30pm.
- An ability to work within electronic mediums: word processing, e-mail, social media, internet and intranet.
- A good sense of humor.
Information Required to Apply:
The position will remain open until filled. For immediate consideration, please send a cover letter, CV/resume, and example of previous programming to: [email protected]. Candidates should feel free to submit videos/recordings, original compositions and/or arrangements along with any other materials that they feel may support their application.
Select candidates will be asked to interview with the search committee and/or lead a chorus rehearsal.
Submit Information to:
For immediate consideration, please send a cover letter, CV/resume, and example of previous programming to: [email protected]